Friday, May 8, 2009

My Open Heart Surgery

I want to inform you that my Aortic Valve Replacement was no picnic.

I am still trying to figure out what my do's and don't's are.

I went into the hospital on March 24th and then on March 27th I had my Aortic Valve replaced.

They had to cut the breast bone(sternum) and then cut open the heart to get to the bad valve.

That was not quite that bad but a couple of days later I crashed because I wasn't breathing. A trcheotomy was then preformed. This proceedure saved my life.

I was sent to rehab at the Auroa West Allis Select Care Facility

I could not have been treated any better.

I met the head of the Respiratory Therapy department and he was the one that weaned me off of the ventilator and my first step down trach tube.

He then put a speaking tube in with a cap on it.

A different person started taking care of me since I was progressing so well.

The person removed the trach tube completely and never put another one in.

By Sunday I was talking with out any difficulty.

I came home May 1st. I have not looked back since.

I thank God for my recovery and the book of Joshua.

No comments: